Gabriel Gonzalez (he/him): Embracing an International Mindset

Perspectives: Student Stories from Around Campus

BY MILES DOBIS (HE/HIM)

When faced with the prospect of his first siesta (an afternoon leisure period practiced in many Mediterranean countries), Gabriel Gonzalez at first didn’t know how to respond. “The go-go attitude of America means that we don’t have this built-in time period to relax or reflect, and it was definitely an adjustment getting into that headspace,” he says. But the Roosevelt senior studying abroad in Spain quickly learned to embrace the cultural custom.

“I quickly understood how valuable it was and how much it would clear my mind,” he says. “And I would be different depending on my headspace. Sometimes I would just take a nap, or go people-watch at the park, or read a book. It opened my eyes about how to structure your day.”

Gabriel Gonzalez

Embracing the siesta was just one of many benefits Gabriel attributes to studying in a foreign country. Working towards his bachelor’s degree in sustainability studies, the Roosevelt senior knew he wanted an extended study abroad experience, and the opportunity to live in Madrid also allowed him to visit the neighboring nations of Portugal and France. When he wasn’t studying urban planning or Spanish literature, Gabriel was able to wander the old world streets, enjoy a tapas meal or explore an art museum.

“It heightens your awareness of language, cultural customs and people skills that you take for granted somewhere you’re familiar with,” he says. “You’re constantly learning and accessing new information, and I think that’s made me a better student and better traveler.”

Since returning to the United States and continuing his education at Roosevelt, Gabriel has discovered a greater curiosity and adaptability, which he attributes to his experiences abroad.

Gabriel Gonzalez with friends in Portugal

“I remember sitting by a river in Portugal with the friends I’d made, with a man playing guitar in the background, and eating incredibly fresh sushi,” he says. “It was incredibly scenic and romantic, and I looked to my friends and thought to myself This is too good. Who knew that immersing yourself like this could be so rewarding. And the next day someone asked me if I was Portuguese! That, to me, was a sign that I’d really embraced a new culture.”

Madrid photo provided by Álvaro Bernal via Unsplash

Passport stamps footer

More in this section

President’s Perspective

President’s Perspective

Going to college marks one of the great journeys of our life—from youth to adulthood. These years of focused thought can light a fire of curiosity and wonder that will continue for the rest of our life.

President’s Perspective

President’s Perspective

It is tempting to dismiss it as political posturing, but the debate over DEI is part of a more foundational debate over issues such as fairness and even about what it means to be American.