President's Perspective

Fall 2021

By President Ali R. Malekzadeh, PhD

President Ali R. Malekzadeh, PhD

Last month, I was on my way to introduce the American Dream Reconsidered Conference when I boarded an elevator with three students. I learned that the group belonged to the Chicago College of Performing Arts, when, mid-conversation, they broke into song.

If you have never heard the acoustics in the Wabash elevators, I encourage you to do so — I told the students I might miss the conference so I could enjoy their whole performance. Then on the second floor, I got off to join David Axelrod and Bill Kristol for an inspiring debate about the American Dream.

It was a small moment, to be sure, but one that could only happen at Roosevelt University, where our students are talented, driven and engaged with social justice. While Roosevelt has embraced the possibilities of remote learning, I am grateful for our safe return to campus and new opportunities to connect.

COVID-19 cases remained low on campus thanks to the diligence of our students, faculty and staff. About 97% of Roosevelt students have received the COVID-19 vaccine, and our community continues to wear their masks and follow safety guidelines.

It has been an eye-opening year and a half. The pandemic has magnified the stark disparities embedded across industries, including higher education. I remain grateful for Roosevelt’s mission and our dedication to preparing socially conscious students who will become community leaders.

And Justice For All

The official Roosevelt University podcast explores the close relationship between education and justice.

In a time of upheaval, Roosevelt has recommitted to our founding values while exploring opportunities for growth and flexibility.

— President Ali Malekzadeh

Roosevelt’s founders created our University for students who faced barriers to accessing education: BIPOC students, immigrants, parents and those with financial need. Through local and federal grants, Roosevelt will deepen our support networks.

With a $2.7 million federal grant, Roosevelt will build a campus STEM center and add support staff for transfer students. Another grant — one you’ll read about in this issue — will change how Chicago children overcome learning loss.

In “Students Develop Tools for Social Activism,” you’ll meet Mia Moore and Caitlynn Liquigan, who spent the summer learning how to effect social change across Chicago. Please consider making a gift to support change-makers like Mia and Caitlynn at your alma mater.

In a time of upheaval, Roosevelt has recommitted to our founding values while exploring opportunities for growth and flexibility. The Board of Trustees approved our updated strategic plan with its cornerstones of academic and financial strength, guided by social justice principles. I look forward to many more catalyzing campus encounters in the months to come.

As always, I welcome your thoughts.

Write me at president@roosevelt.edu

More in this section

traveling while home: self-discovery through the local

How can you make the long trip home if you don’t actually leave there? A partnership between Roosevelt University’s Honors Program and Chicago Architecture Center asks students to experience space and place as sites for action—not simply places we passively inhabit.

unexcused absence

unexcused absence

Some of life’s most important lessons cannot be taught inside the four walls of a classroom. Matthew Beardmore’s travel has forced him to reassess how he thinks about work, family, politics, injustice and many other issues. He’s no longer tied to the beliefs of where he grew up.

creating a new travel niche while wandering the globe

In early 2011, Sahara Rose De Vore bought a one-way ticket to Costa Rica. Over the next 10 years, she explored 84 countries. The self-discovery she experienced inspired her to launch two successful businesses—both helping others discover the benefits of travel.