Profile Image

The Nature of Science (Honors Course Reflection)

By: Onteya Zachary

This semester, I took an Honors course called The Nature of Science (BIOL 113) instructed by Dr. Kelsey Poulson-Ellestad (also known as “Dr. P”). We explored a variety of readings that address the interplay between science and society and the scientific process. In addition, we addressed other topics of interest to the class such as sentient beings, knowledge, and climate change. The class in the tradition of Honors encouraged us to individually utilize our arsenal of skills, experiences, and perspectives from our own studies or major and apply them here. Not only did I get to enhance my skills and familiarity with scientific methodology, scientific research, and communication, but I became better equipped to understand advances in science in a technology-rich society.

One of my favorite experiential projects within the course was performing our own scientific research. It included developing a question and testable hypothesis, collecting data, as well as analyzing and interpreting that data. Much of our project was completed in collaboration with our classmates and instructor, Dr. P. For example, we were able to write out journal reflections in private to the teacher as well as discuss the status of our projects throughout each phase of the scientific method/research. In doing this, we were able to really commit and participate in this endeavor in the truest capacity as science is a collaborative endeavor. Throughout our research process, we were also required to carry journals and log our learning and curiosities throughout the individual project.

Another experiential learning project we got to complete and engage in active reflection on was the Unessay Project. Essentially, in lieu of a final exam, my peers and I worked on a final project that demonstrated how we connected with the course content and learning objectives. The details of the project were largely entrusted to us and we were ultimately provided with a creative academic outlet.  These projects could have included a variety of activities and the creation of items. For my project, I designed two sets of earrings that were representations of concepts such as understanding as a common experience and the importance of observation. I felt strongly attached to these concepts and felt myself thoroughly engaging with them in relation to my major. 

Moving forward from the course, I am enthusiastically wondering about how I will bring scientific thinking to bear on issues that affect myself and my communities. Albeit, I had not fully understood the course content when I registered for it, I was thoroughly engaged with the learning experience I embarked on since the first day of class. Not only was the course material exciting and untraditional in the sense of science classes I have taken in the past, but Dr. P was always an energetic and enthusiastic teacher with an avid love for science and teaching everpresent in her interactions with students.