A Message from the President

Dear Roosevelt Community,

I am writing to let you know that on Sunday, November 1, I was officially diagnosed with COVID-19. On Wednesday last week, I began to experience mild flu-like symptoms — fatigue, chills and sinus congestion. Currently, I am not experiencing any breathing problems or loss of taste or smell and am feeling as well as can be expected. Following Roosevelt University procedure, I have reported this to Toyia K. Stewart, vice president of human resources, for contact tracing.

The contact source is undetermined, as I have been quarantined and have had absolutely no contact with anyone for over a month, the exception being an occasional trip to the grocery store. Know that I have been exercising caution and following Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) protocols, including sheltering at home, wearing a mask and maintaining strict social distancing. The last time I was on campus was Saturday, October 24, and I did not come into contact with anyone in the building.

As such, I will self-isolate for 10 days from the date I began showing symptoms (Oct. 28) and will not return to campus until I am fever-free for at least 24 hours, any other symptoms are improving, and I am cleared by my physician at Northwestern Medical Center. The good news is that I am at home in Chicago and have not exposed others to this virus. I encourage all of you to remain steadfast in the protocols that the CDC and Roosevelt have put into place. Your health and safety are paramount.

I share this news with you as I want to be transparent about my health and reassure everyone that I have not exposed others. This virus is unpredictable, and I encourage everyone to continue following the CDC protocols and those put in place on our campus. Please wear your mask, maintain social distancing and exercise caution to ensure minimal contact with others.

Your support is appreciated during this time, though know I am confident that I will return to good health in short time.

With Warm Regards,

Ali R. Malekzadeh, Ph.D.
President