A letter to Roosevelt from SGA and Transition of Leadership
Watch the swearing in of the incoming SGA President & Vice President
Farewell from outgoing SGA Leadership
Dear Roosevelt Students,
There have been significant moments of transition throughout this academic year. Despite this, our student body has maintained resilient and excellent in the face of adversity and change. It has been an amazing and exceptional year for student representation at Roosevelt University. We are very proud of the achievements of the student body. This letter serves as our farewell from the outgoing RU Student Government Association of 2019-2020 executive board. We value the support we have received from all members of the community this year. Thank you!
We would like to extend our deepest thanks to all the senators, committee chairs and executive board members who worked tirelessly to improve our university while representing RU SGA to the best of their ability. This group of students met weekly, virtually once remote instruction began, and worked effectively with patience and cooperation on many issues concerning the Roosevelt community. In addition to this group, we’d like to thank the members of student organizations for your persistence and efforts to help assist the Student Government Association in voicing what the student body needed this year. We also appreciate all administrators, staff and faculty members at Roosevelt University. A special shout out to President Ali Malekzadeh, Provost Louis Becker, Chief of Staff Michael Ford, VP of Student Affairs Jamar Orr, and our advisor, CSI Director Emily Alvelo, for their inputs and important cooperation with SGA Senators.
Finally, we would like to appreciate the student body for their trust and their patience with RU SGA. Serving you was a pleasure and a duty, and your support and criticism pushed us even further to work harder and make sacrifices for the improvement of our university.
Our work this year can be summarized in the following points:
- Created a Food Committee which established a forum for feedback, follow-up and open communication around concerns with dining services and catering services
- Partnered with IT and the Provost to outline optimal printing practices to better serve our students
- Participated in meetings concerning the COVID-19 pandemic and assisted with:
- the creation of a survey to assess the student body on current issues related to access to resources, financial burdens, and the virtual learning experience
- identifying options for the 2020 commencement experience
- discussing the future academic experience – both in-person and virtually
- advocating for better communication to students regarding pass/fail options
We count on the support of all the community in order to ensure the continuity of SGA. We are very proud and optimistic for the future of SGA under the new leadership of incoming SGA President, Lilly Pribish, and Vice President, Lexie Judd. We wish them the best of luck and commit to remaining a resource and support for them in the upcoming year.
A special acknowledgment to our graduating seniors of the executive board – outgoing President Leonardo Rojas-Banda, outgoing Vice President Deriall Reed, and outgoing Treasurer Maria Sanchez.
This has been an interesting year for us all as students, we simply want to say thank you for everything.
Best Regards & Stay Safe,
The SGA Team of 2019-2020
Under the Administration of SGA President Leonardo Rojas & VP Deriall Reed