Heather Diedrich Is First Sustainability Studies Graduate

After less than two years as a formal degree program, I’m pleased to announce that our first Sustainability Studies graduate walked across the stage at Roosevelt’s storied Auditorium Theater on Dec. 16th, 2011. Congratulations to my former student and advisee, Heather Diedrich!

Heather Diedrich with SUST professors Greg Buckley (left) and Mike Bryson

In November, the Chicago Tribune interviewed Heather about her choice to come here:

Heather Diedrich didn’t know what she wanted to do after high school, so she entered the workforce instead of going to college. “I didn’t want to waste time or money until I knew what I wanted to do,” she says.

But after several years of working as a server and in retail, Diedrich was ready to get serious about her education. She stumbled upon an announcement for Roosevelt University’s brand-new undergraduate sustainability studies program and was intrigued. “It was just perfect for me. The topics to be studied — food, water, social responsibility — are what I like to read about and what I care about in life.”

Heather and RU's President, Chuck Middleton

My colleagues and I are delighted that Heather made her choice and proud to see her complete the program. One thing that has really struck me as I’ve taught my first several SUST courses is the intelligence, motivation, and passion of the students who’ve enrolled as majors in Sustainability Studies. They’re among the most talented folks I’ve ever worked with.