Some boys like to wear pink and some girls like to play with trucks. So why can’t a giraffe wear high heel shoes? Sami, the giraffe loves to do everything in high heel shoes. The herd cannot accept Sami’s refusal to not stand in bare hooves. One day the giraffes encounter a terrible dilemma. See if Sami’s diversity can change the minds of some stubborn giraffes. A gender-neutral picture book.
About The Author
Ms. Ashworth writes everything from picture books to fiction novels. She pursues writing as a member of Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators and The Houston Writers Guild. She has published a handful of short stories in contests, literary magazines and an anthology. In her spare time, when she’s not writing, you can find her pumping iron at the gym, planting in the garden, or digging into a pint of ice cream. Ms. Ashworth lives and writes in Texas with her family. Details about this writer and her current projects can be found at http://www.mariaashworth.com, along with other social media.
Tips for Reading Real Giraffe Wear High-Heels
- Ask students to identify clothes that boys typically wear and clothes girls typically wear. You can bring in props and make this into a game.
- Discuss whether it is OK for boys to wear girls clothes and vice versa.
- Make a language wall on key terms, such as gender, gender neutral, and transgender.
- Watch an age-appropriate video about gender and transgender, specifically one that includes a child their age.
- Ask the students to reflect on how they would talk to the giraffe who wanted to wear high-heels.