Illinois is currently facing a teacher shortage.To address this pressing need, Grow Your Own Teachers (GYO) is actively recruiting individuals from communities of color to become licensed teachers.
With GYO’s assistance, selected candidates will complete a teacher licensing program at a university of their choice. In exchange, participants commit to working as a classroom teacher for at least five (5) years in a high needs public school in Illinois.
We ask that you share this email with your colleagues, friends and acquaintances who have the enthusiasm, commitment and capacity to teach in the most demanding schools. GYO will ensure that everyone has the resources they need to succeed.
Who are GYO candidates?
- Staff working in Chicago Public Schools who have a desire to pursue classroom teaching
- Community members who are interested in enrolling in or returning to college with the intent of becoming a licensed teacher.
- Undergraduates who are interested in pursuing a career in teaching, but have not yet been admitted to their college of education
- Students already enrolled in a college of education or a master’s degree program to obtain a teaching license
Candidates can rely on GYO to have their backs!
If accepted, candidates receive individual mentoring and a wide range of supports including:
- Financial assistance for tuition, and when necessary, emergency expenses
- Academic support with a coordinator who keeps candidates on track to graduate
- Wrap around services that support candidates, even when the unexpected happens
- A cohort of prospective teachers who meet monthly to build relationships and prepare for the classroom
How do individuals apply to GYO or learn more?
To apply, candidates can use the link below or visit www.GrowYourOwnTeachers.org/apply.