Student’s Experience: Roosevelt’s Spring Career Fair

Roosevelt University Career Center organized a Spring Networking and Career Fair at Goodman Center on Thursday, March 21, 2019, from 11am-2pm. I was excited to attend, because I am in the middle of my search for a summer internship in digital marketing. It was my first career fair in Chicago, and I found the companies that participated relevant for my search. I printed my resume and even attached my cover letter to it, and I was ready for the fair.

The spring fair was very well-organized, and refreshments were provided. I had to sign in, and then got all the information on the fair, a brochure on participating companies, and the map of where I could find each company. Roosevelt representatives encouraged me to have my professional photo taken, which was definitely something I needed for my LinkedIn account. I introduced myself and talked with representatives from many companies, from hotels and wellness companies to banks and insurance companies. I left my resume and cover letter with several of them. Some of them suggested I check out all of their career opportunities on their websites. At the end, I had my photo taken, and received my professional photo to use on my LinkedIn account.

That same afternoon I received an email from a Chief Marketing Officer from one of the companies that I left my resume with. She was interested in my skills and suggested an exploratory meeting to see whether we were a good match. That was great news for the end of the day, and I was excited about this opportunity. Roosevelt Career Office organizes regular events that include advising on how to prepare well, network, and search for job opportunities. My recommendation is to attend as many events as possible, because it is a valuable opportunity for networking and establishing contacts. In-person conversation works out better than just sending a resume, and you have a good opportunity to introduce yourself to future employers.

-Jelena K.