Birding in Wonderland

It was a huge honor to be invited to give this final talk in the centennial year series for the Evanston North Shore Bird Club – ENSBC! Since I was probably the least experienced birder in the room, it was a very humbling experience, and also very moving, because preparing it gave me an opportunity to figure out for myself the way that my relationship to nature informs my relationships with people, and my life choices. It somehow took me from Alzheimers, to wolves, to birds, to lung cancer, and, through it all, how nature connects and heals our hearts.

A hundred thanks to Libby Hill and Joel Greenberg for inviting me and being incredible role models, Jessica Katz for being my date and one of the best birding finds I’ve had this year, and Beth Phillips and Jort Vanderveen for letting me use some of their stellar photos. 

#HealingPowerofBirds

http://www.ensbc.org/events/640I

About Bethany Barratt

Dr. Barratt earned her PhD from the University of California in 2002, and her BA in Political Science/History from Duke University in 1994. She is Director of the Joseph Loundy Human Rights Project, which joins forces with community partners in Chicago and cities abroad to draw and apply comparative lessons to make measurable gains in respect for human rights in urban settings. Professor Barratt has conducted archival and field research in Yellowstone National Park, Central Asia, the UK, Canada, and Australia. She is author or editor of several books including “Human Rights and Foreign Aid” (Routledge, 2007), "The Politics of Harry Potter" (Palgrave McMillan, 2012), and coeditor o "Public Opinion and War: Lessons from Iraq" (Potomac, 2012). She has also authored articles on environmental politics and justice, conservation policy, human rights, foreign aid, US, British, Canadian, and Australian foreign policy, and counterterrorism, in Political Research Quarterly, The Journal of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, and edited volumes from Ashgate and Lexington Books. Besides her teaching experience at Roosevelt and the University of California, she has also taught in a number of jails and prisons. She is an officer or member of several scholarly associations including the American Political Science Association and the International Studies Association.
This entry was posted in Climate Change, Public Lands, Wildlife, Yellowstone and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.